Thursday, July 30, 2009

Emma's Dress

This post is long overdue, but better late than never! I finally finished knitting Emma's Fiona Baby Sundress. I started this project in April, and finished on June 26th, just in time for Emma to wear her dress for her 18 month pictures on June 27th. This was a hard pattern for me to get started on. I ended up ripping it out several times before I got it right. The pattern starts at the bottom of the dress, and you knit up. The straps gave me a bit of trouble as well. I ended up attaching them too far out and they barely sat on Emma's shoulders, so I had to cut them off and knit new straps, and reattached them the night before Emma's pictures. Nothing like waiting until the last minute! The dress was on the big side, and I was concerned it looked like Emma was wearing a sack. So I knitted about an arm's length of the brown yarn and then threaded that through two places on the back of the waist to make a tie. That helped gather the skirt a bit and made it fit better.

I also got creative and crocheted a little blue flower to match the dress that Emma wore in her hair. The dress really turned out great and I'm really happy with it. Emma hasn't worn it again. It's a bit hot with the 100+ degree weather we have been having, but I'm hopeful she can wear it more this fall. And it's pretty long and with adjustable straps, so I hope she can wear it for a couple of years at least.

Yarn: 4 hanks of Cascade Luna in color Sky, 1 hank of Cascade Luna in color Chocolate.
Needles: Size 7 US 16" circular needle, size 7 US double pointed needles, cable needle.
Gauge: 5 stitches/5.5 rows per inch





1 comment:

JessBless said...

WOW!!! When I first saw the pictures I noticed how beautiful the dress was right away and wondered where you bought it from. Even cooler that you made it! My mom sewed me dresses growing up and they were always my favorite: different than any bought in the store and made with time and most of all love from my mom! What a precious gift - and great talent!